Friday, April 18, 2008

100K fixed



The Daffodil Classic marked my first over 50 mile ride on the fixed gear. While my top speed, and consequently my average speed, suffered, the climbs were easier than anticipated. I admittedly had to walk a few short sections but no entire climbs. It was certainly a different experience...especially when everybody whizzed past me on the descents. But as far as I'm aware, I was the only person who rode the course on a fixed or even a single speed--so I don't feel too bad.

I have never fielded so many questions on a ride before. Everyone kept asking me how the hills were treating me. The hills were fine so long as I was going UP them. It was the DOWN that hurt! I think I developed carpel tunnel from squeezing the front brake. Yet some cheered me on and others just thought I was nuts.

Somewhere along my return from Eatonville, I missed a course marking and rode all the way into Graham on the wrong road. Oops. My girlfriend, a Graham native, quickly corrected my path via cellphone and I was off again. I was only a few miles off....

All in all, I have to say that I enjoyed the first long distance fixed ride. I was in horrible pain the next day however. Heh heh!

Would I do it again?

Hell yeah!

Will I do it again?

Hell yeah!

See you at the next charity ride.

No comments: